[lbo-talk] Fwd: Step It Up 2: Who's a Leader?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 23 10:10:44 PDT 2007

From: "StepItUp.org" <organizers at stepitup2007.org> Date: August 23, 2007 1:07:33 PM EDT To: dhenwood at panix.com Subject: Step It Up 2: Who's a Leader? Reply-To: organizers at stepitup2007.org

Dear Friends --

There are occasional moments in history when we desperately need leadership, and this is one of them. April 14th was a great success: we took part in more than 1400 actions around the country, and our message resounded in the halls of Congress. All you need to do is look at the slide show from Step It Up #1 to see just how amazing, creative, and effective grassroots organizing can be when we put our heads and our communities together.

But a movement needs to keep moving, and calling for real leadership is the next step.

This is an invitation to take one Saturday this fall and use it to build a movement. November 3 will be a powerful day, and you can play a vital role.

Here's the idea. On November 3, a year before the next election, we're asking people to organize rallies large and small in their communities. Each one should take place in some spot that commemorates great leaders of the past.

Will you help organize an event in your community?

SIGN UP NOW to host an action.

Once you've got your rally registered on our website, we'll help you gather a crowd, and invite the politicians from your neck of the woods. We want to ask every Senator and Representative, and every candidate for those offices, to come to these rallies, along with state and local officials.

Once they're there, we'll present politicians with the four "1 Sky" priorities, prepared in the last few months by climate campaigners across the country. They are: an 80% reduction in carbon emissions by 2050, 10% in three years (hit the ground running), a moratorium on new coal-fired power plants, and a Green Jobs Corps to help fix homes and businesses so those targets can be met.

Basically, we want to find out who is simply a politician, and who's ready to be a leader.

Will you join us?

Visit <http://www.stepitup2007.org> to join the movement.

Thanks for your action,

Bill McKibben and the Step It Up 2007 Organizing Team