[lbo-talk] Barbara Ehrenreich Loses Her Mind

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 23 15:27:54 PDT 2007

from Ehrenreich's blog] SMASHING CAPITALISM

> http://ehrenreich.blogs.com/barbaras_blog/2007/08/smashing-capita.html
>
> Somewhere in the Hamptons a high-roller is cursing his
> cleaning lady and shaking his fists at the lawn guys.
> The American poor, who are usually tactful enough to
> remain invisible to the multi-millionaire class,
> suddenly leaped onto the scene and started smashing
> the global financial system. Incredibly enough, this
> may be the first case in history in which the
> downtrodden manage to bring down an unfair economic
> system without going to the trouble of a revolution.

I've always had differences with Ehrenreich, but I never dreamed that she could be this abysmally stupid. From the earliest days of capitalism all sorts of capitalist have gone bust, with no threat to the system. Periodically, hundreds of capitalists go broke, with no threat to the system.

Several times virtually the whole world has gone bust, with a _slight_ threat to the system.

I mean really.

An serious economic crash, at least as bad as The Great Depression, would begin to cause trouble after (maybe) 10 years. The first result of a recession, even a bad one, is to drive everyone to individual efforts to survive, and left efforts decay.

Carrol