[lbo-talk] BBC 8/23/07: Shrewd lenders spark US mortgage chaos

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 20:56:03 PDT 2007

> Yes, a lot of smoothing talking con artists sold people a bill of
> goods on subprime, but in a bubble, people just want to believe, to
> make 20% a year, and they don't want to hear about payment resets.
> Bankers and brokers lied to customers, but customers also lied about
> their incomes. Let's not get too sentimental.

Sentimental, no. But I wonder who was taking advantage of whom. Who wanted more to believe who's lie? The same people who sell these people on the American Dream (TM) precisely in order to sell them loans like these are shocked! shocked! that many of those people wanting loans want them so badly as to look blithely past details they ought, in some ideal everyone-acts-rationally-all-the-time game-theorist's world, to pay attention to.

huh. it suddenly occurs to me: isn't it just a little bit ironic that the growth of this bizarre industry hawking credit reports and credit management coincides so neatly with the rise of the subprime market? maybe is missed this in the articles i've read on it. but it strikes me as a little bit like philip morris selling nicotine gum and patches to help people stop smoking.