[lbo-talk] Barbara Ehrenreich Loses Her Mind

Dmytri Kleiner dk at telekommunisten.net
Fri Aug 24 04:07:02 PDT 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:20:12 -0500, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> I suspected that might be the case, but still didn't bother to continue.
> And note her "in the long term...." That is almost as silly as her joke.
> Class society has flourished for about 5000 years, and to say it cannot
> hope for a healthy prognosis is mere wishful-thinking. If you don't hit
> it, it won't fall -- and only at rare intervals does it, for a very
> brief period, become vulnerable to being hit.

Well, her saying "only it sounds less like a shout of protest than a low, strangled, cry of pain." seems to agree with you.

> Those periods are
> unpredictable, and cannot be willed into existence.

Not sure what Ehrenreich's opinion on this is, but I think that investing energy in worker's self-organisation of production and willing more egalitarian workplaces into existence by actively creating them puts worker's in a better positions to exploit periods of opportunity whenever they do arise.

I can only hope that Ehrenreich's work in illustrating the futility and misery of wage labour will drive them to join us who are trying to work and share differently, creating the new society in the shell of the old, as the saying goes.

> Mere moral outrage
> of a few, or even quite a few, won't do it.

Neither will moral outrage at moral outrage.

-- Dmytri Kleiner editing text files since 1981

http://www.telekommunisten.net