[lbo-talk] Feeling Old.... Yeah!

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 05:14:08 PDT 2007

Teaching a Class on Africa's International Relations a year ago (Aug- Dec) I felt like an ancient freak. Not a single undergraduate knew, beyond "a" name (one Nelson Mandela), what apartheid was. I didn't know whether to laugh, or cry. But then, some of them couldn't discuss McCarthyism, the Watts Riots, Kent State, Tet... They had never heard of the Sandinistas/Contras... To his credit, one student liked The Clash!!! (and thought he knew about the Sandinistas)

There was a public march/gathering of Nazis, here, in Columbia, SC and one student called them "Communists"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanrayford/482934518/

----- Original Message ---- From: martin <mschiller at pobox.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, 22 August, 2007 8:01:17 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] wanna feel old?

The story wears a cloak of invisibility. I'm not sure what you mean by 'There's still the meritocracy.'. From each according to their means ...?

martin