[lbo-talk] Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Fri Aug 24 18:16:03 PDT 2007

At 06:55 AM 8/23/2007, you wrote:
>>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>>
>> > As for me, I think accomplishment merits only
>> > nominal reward. Perhaps
>> > overachievers might be enititled to wear a (small)
>> > laurel wreath, but that's
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Carl
>>
>>You would say that, Carl.
>
>That was just a small joke. I really think overachievers deserve an AK-47
>salute right in the head.
>
>Carl

eeek. Shoot me then. Not that I get rewards for it but, dayum, my work ethic is waaaaaaaay too much for this culture -- I'm learning.

Wow. I really never realized: I'm a happy person and about 75% of the population seems totally unhappy. Not to mention: they utterly detest work. It's hilarious to me how, even middle management is all about "Is it Friday yet?" I'm such a frickin' tool. I might not like what goes on at work, various bullshit, but as with any work I've ever done, I enjoy it in one way or another simply by thinking about who will enjoy and get use from what I do. (I know chuck: fuck work! fuck it in the ear! I know! :)

Alas, I've figured out that I need to learn to not give a shit about anything and take no pride in anything I do. If people were rewarded for hard work -- and it was duly recognized that accomplishments are social productions -- then I'd be a frickin badabingbadaboombajillionaire and I'd divide it up among everyone who influenced, trained, taught me.

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)