[lbo-talk] Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 25 08:07:01 PDT 2007

joanna wrote:

> Who said anything about reproaches or resentment. All I said was the
> meritocracies make me gag and that I am very, very skeptical of their
> claims. I also said that for people who care about what they do, being
> able to do it and being able to do it well is what's really important.

First, this is a misuse of the word "meritocracy" -- the root is RULE, remember. A meritocracy has to do with power over others, and that is not the subject of this thread, which involves giving reward (moral or material) for excellence, _not_ with power.

And I am beginning to resent your insistence on this -- you are claiming that YOU, YOURSELF, are superior to the rest of us in that you can take proper satisfaction in your achievement in isolation while we weak and silly others want someone to admire our mud pies.

Come down off that high horse.

Carrol