[lbo-talk] The sources of suffering (Grow up!) ( Was Re: Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward)

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 08:50:45 PDT 2007

<andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

"Someone needs to reflect on the sources of human unhappiness and strife. The most basic of these -- mortality -- is not likely to be affected by the advent of a classless society. Neither would classlessness cure broken hearts and failure in love, grief at loss of children, parents or other loved ones -- not just through death (I am struggling with the fact that my daughter has just left for college); illness and diminishment of physical and mental power, failure to accomplish one's own goals, frustration at dealing with people in cooperative situations -- very far from always being a source of joy! And about ten million other things that make life hard. Mental illness -- depression, manic depression, the whole panoply of the DSM. It will not cure loneliness . ."

Andie: I know all these things. I was questioning if they are the material of great art, as we know it in the western tradition I dont love art before everything else, and am not putting it ahead of social justice. And I am not calling into question the value of a classless society. I was merely responding to some what I felt to be bland statements about artists doing art just for the personal satisfaction of it. The compulsion to create seems to come from darker sources, and I was wondering whether people on this list thought those sources would wither away in a classless society. Over the years I have heard a lot of writers called "bourgeois writers", because they wrote about things like adultery, alcoholism, social conformity, competitiveness, as if these were peculiar to bourgeois society. I was just questioning whether people thought those kinds of things would go away in a classless society, and if so, what would art be about.

I thought that among people who are prettty clear about their preference for a classless society, and not apt to have their beliefs shaken by a question about it, it would be ok to ask a question about it.

BobW

The following is childish:

I can't imagine what the "other
> scenarios" or motives of conflict would be in a
> harmonious classless society. Would envy,
> loneliness, vengefulness, insecurity, will to power,
> still exist? If so, that would bring in question
> the hope of a classless society, that a better human
> being would result from it.

Someone needs to reflect on the sources of human unhappiness and strife. The most basic of these -- mortality -- is not likely to be affected by the advent of a classless society. Neither would classlessness cure broken hearts and failure in love, grief at loss of children, parents or other loved ones -- not just through death (I am struggling with the fact that my daughter has just left for college); illness and diminishment of physical and mental power, failure to accomplish one's own goals, frustration at dealing with people in cooperative situations -- very far from always being a source of joy! And about ten million other things that make life hard. Mental illness -- depression, manic depression, the whole panoply of the DSM. It will not cure loneliness for those who find it hard to make friends and it willnot cure the oppression of enforced socializing. It will not cure envy: it will sharpen it, like as not, less envy for things but for accomplishments, since one's failures cannot be not be excused by the unfairness of class. And it's not clear that it would affect vengefulness, or that it would be a good thing to attempt to root out that basic impulse to justice rather than to channel it, but we can disagree about retribution some other time.

Abolition of classes would get rid of several major sources of suffering -- inequality of a degree that allows a few in power to ignore even the basic needs of the many; inequality to a degree that produces disparities of power and wealth that are damaging to self-esteem and self respect; to some degree it would reduce alienation and meaninglessness labor, insofar as necessary labor might be reduced or made or pleasant (some empirical research on coops suggests that we should not be overoptimistic about this); it would do lots of good things. Even the on the very narrowest construction, where ll it would do is enhance democratic control over the economy and reduce absolute poverty, it would be worth having and fighting for.

But to say that if the abolition of classes does not put us on cloud nine, in the Big Rock Candy Mountain or the Land of Cockaigne where all contradictions are resolved and the skies are not cloudy all day, and that it's not worth having or not real if it does do that -- that's childish. It's utopian in the very worst sense.

It's politically destructive to say such a thing, it's shows a certain shallowness of sensibility to even think it. Our lives are determined by luck and randomness, limited by the frail and temporary physical embodiments that give them shape and meaning, and grownups learn the truth in a tragic sense of life. "Call no man happy until he is dead," says Aristotle, and he doesn't mean it's better not to be born.

One would have hoped we might have learned that class oppression is not the only even or the only source of evil, and that some sources of unhappiness and suffering -- whether you can them evils or not -- are just part of the framework of human existence. Read Sophocles and Thucydides and learn. In the Marxist tradition, Sebastiano Timpanario, not coincidentally a classical philologist like Nietzsche (another good source on this) is quite good about these questions. See his On Materialism.

If I seem impatient, it's because I am. We are running out of time to be idiots.