[lbo-talk] Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 25 14:42:03 PDT 2007

On 8/25/07, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> First, this is a misuse of the word "meritocracy" -- the root is RULE,
> remember. A meritocracy has to do with power over others, and that is
> not the subject of this thread, which involves giving reward (moral or
> material) for excellence, _not_ with power.

The general question is how society can aid creativity and self-expression among its participants.

I'd think that forms of gushing, maybe ritualized public praise is somewhere down on the list of ideas. More a matter of personal style than anything substantive.

In fact, I hear studies have shown that such rewards often result in the opposite of the intended effect. But I know little about these studies.

Tayssir