[lbo-talk] Teaching in the Horowitz Era (Was Whoa!)

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Aug 26 10:06:06 PDT 2007

Ismail Lagardien wrote:

>With regard to teaching in the US... One of the problems I have is, quite frankly, that I am intimidated by the Horowitz movement against academic freedom. There are times, for instance, when I want to teach, or refer to Marx's prescient remarks about globalization, and the generally destructive nature of capitalism. I get around it by citing Jeffrey Sachs, who explained that Marx was right about capitalism, and point to his (Sach's) reference to capitalism's "bloody triumph". The point I make is that if profit maximisation is important than the bloody destruction may mean very little - and vice versa.

Teaching college is really hard because the challenge is great -- it is possible at long last to get critical thought/reflection because the students are at an age where they are ready to recognize conditioning and to go beyond reaction. It sounds like you're going about it just right ....not just because of Horowitz, but because you are helping them work things out for themselves.

Joanna