[lbo-talk] More Good Stuff

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 10:46:22 PDT 2007

US illiteracy is an issue, but I wasn't confining my list of modern Great Artists to Americans! Or to writers. And my point is not that that there isn't any any more, just that it's still rare.

On the only authority we have (Jonson's), Shakespeare had "small Latin and less Greek." His French (see the scene with Prince Catherine and her made in Henry V) is a joke. He was astoundingly erudite, but not in languages.