[lbo-talk] Michelangelo , was Re: The sources of suffering (Grow up!) ( Was Re: Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 26 19:29:31 PDT 2007

Chris Doss wrote:
>> Just out of curiousity, how do we know what
>> Michelangelo's sexual orientation was? Do we have
>> correspondence between him and a lover or somesuch?
>>

> Asking about M's sexual orientation is as silly as asking whether he
> was a Democrat or a Republican. Our typology of sexual orientation
> did not exist in 16th century Europe, so it's a meaningless question.
>
> Miles

How can such a smart person write something so dumb? Miles if you're savvy enough to realize that the historic differences in understanding sexual orientation are non-trivial one would think you would also realize that Chris' question was far from meaningless. The analogy you draw however is deeply flawed so as to be meaningless. I would suggest reading the collection of works that comprise "Queering the Renaissance". It would seem that we actually can come to a decent understanding of the sexual orientation of others during Michaelangelo's time.

John Thornton