[lbo-talk] Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 21:36:00 PDT 2007

On 8/26/07, bitch at pulpculture.org <bitch at pulpculture.org> wrote:

> I happened to catch one of those competition shows Joanna mentions. I think
> it was America's next top model or something. I see the same thing in those
> shows, which are very contrived. ...

The one time I happened to catch it, I was appalled.

I'd just come back from a few beer on Lianhua Lu, Lotus Road, in Zhuhai: http://wikitravel.org/en/Zhuhai#Drink

That's a pedestrian-only street full of outdoor bars, and is patrolled by large numbers of streetwalkers. I was drinking beer and flirting with the waitress, but looking at the hookers too. Almost any non-gay male would be.

So then I get home and see a bunch of allegedly "top model" candidates and, at least for my tastes, they are obviously far less beautiful than my local $25 hookers.

-- Sandy Harris, Nanjing, China