[lbo-talk] Queer Michelangelo

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Aug 27 08:19:42 PDT 2007

On 27 Aug, 2007, at 2:17 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> As we saw with Bill Richardson last week, this line as become a
> defining
> taboo. If you cross it even by accident (and most commentators in
> the gay
> community accept his explaination that his crossing was a tired,
> stupid
> accident born of mouthing too many things by rote) a hue and cry
> goes up,
> because that's how society polices its norms.

I didn't find it tired or stupid at all. In fact, one of the few times when a politician said something sensible: not being a scientist (and here once can use that term in a broad sense), he has no clue of course on whether "gayness" is "inborn" or not. Further, as he accurately pointed out, it should not matter. If commentators in the gay community are betting their all on the theory that being gay is "inborn", that would be a pretty tired and stupid accident, indeed!

(I am not implying you, Michael, are taking a position above. I do think your description of the affair -- societal policing -- is exact).

--ravi