[lbo-talk] Larry Craig loves Mitt's fam vals

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 27 18:34:20 PDT 2007

<http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0807/ Larry_Craigs_proRomney_video_taken_down.html>

Larry Craig's pro-Romney video taken down [Jonathan Martin\

UPDATED WITH CRAIG RESIGNATION FROM ROMNEY CAMPAIGN

Sen. Larry Craig (R-Idaho) — who has pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in connection with an incident where he allegedly solicited a plainclothes police officer in a men's restroom — is one of Mitt Romney's top backers in the Senate. A clip of Craig praising Romney was until just moments ago available on Romney's YouTube channel, but is now listed as "a private video."

Explaining why he's backing Romney, Craig says in the video that it's in part because "he has very strong family values."

"That's something I grew up with and believe in," Craig explains.

In February, the Romney campaign announced that Craig and Sen. Bob Bennett (R-Utah) would serve as co-Senate liaisons for the effort.

"It is an honor to have the support and leadership in the United States Senate of Sen. Bennett and Sen. Craig," Romney said in the press release accompanying the announcement. "Throughout their years of service, they have compiled strong conservative records and have accomplished much for the people of their states and their nation. Both men have a unique perspective of the new generation of challenges confronting our nation. I look forward to working with them to find the solutions needed to ensure that our country remains a strong world leader."

Since then, Craig has lobbied uncommitted senators on behalf of his candidate, helped organize meetings between Romney and colleagues of his and joined other members in recording pro-Romney video clips for the former governor's website.

Craig resigned his post today, said Romney communications director Matt Rhoades.

"Senator Craig has stepped down from his role with the campaign," Rhoades said. "He did not want to be a distraction and we accept his decision."

BTW, rumors of Craig's homosexuality didn't just pop up last year. Then-Rep. Larry Craig went on network news in 1982 to deny rumors involving cocaine and sex with male pages. See the final 30 seconds of the below video: