[lbo-talk] Chronicle of a Cemetery: Museum of Tolerance Planned on Muslim Heritage Site in West Jerusalem

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Tue Aug 28 02:11:09 PDT 2007

By the way... A week ago, we finalized a contract with a US dedicated server hosting service and have begun setting up our website there. It is in the testing stages, and will probably be the public site in about a week.

It is amazingly faster and more responsive than the situation we have now (which has the server sitting in our office in Jerusalem and sharing the ADSL bandwidth of 5mb download/512kb upload with all the other computers being used by us...a bad situation by any standards).

I know that going into the AIC website has probably been a drag because of the arduously long time it takes to wait for the webpages to open... and sorry for that... But it will soon be fixed.

Anyway, in the meantime, here is an article dealing with the Wiesenthal Center's plans to build the so-called Museum of Tolerance (designed by Frank Gehry) in West Jerusalem on an at least 800 year old Muslim cemetery. * Bryan

------------------- Chronicle of a Cemetery: Museum of Tolerance Planned on Muslim Heritage Site in West Jerusalem*

Written by Susanna Mendoza for the Alternative Information Center (AIC)

The Mamilla Cemetery, its name derived from “Maman Allah,” meaning God's Sanctuary, hides behind dense vegetation at one end of Independence Park in the heart of West Jerusalem.

[...]

The Mamilla Cemetery would perhaps still be unknown if some six years ago, the Wiesenthal Center (a Jewish human rights organization) hadn't announced its intentions to build, on the south side of the graveyard, the Museum of Tolerance, with the full support of Jerusalem's Municipality. Commencement of the digging for this museum, which claims to show the "unity and respect between Jewish and people of all traditions," aroused the ire of the Muslim community, particularly when human remains began to be exhumed. "They wouldn't have done this if this was a Jewish cemetery. There are other spaces to build this. It is another political demonstration because they know this is a provocation for us," affirms Dr. Yussuf Nachti, Archeology expert for the office of the Waqf, the Islamic Court in Jerusalem. When asked about the dilapidated condition of the cemetery, the office of the Waqf responded that they are not authorized to work in West Jerusalem, much less to take care of some ruins, no matter how old they are.

[...]

To read the whole article, please click here <http://www.alternativenews.org/news/english/chronicle-of-a-cemetery-museum-of-tolerance-planned-on-muslim-heritage-site-in-west-jerusalem-20070827.html>.