[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Re: Google Books nightmare]

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 07:49:03 PDT 2007

Carrol (quoting Andrew Brown):

I have made progress with Preuss and now have 1-18, 22, 25, 26, 27-1, 28 and 30. Here's how:

1. Find one of the volumes you want. This may not be too easy.

2. Under "Other editions" (so help us) select "show more".

3. Open every link in turn and select "Download".

[...]

I'm having a hard time understanding this.

Is Mr. Brown arguing that Google's in trouble (the "sell your shares" comment posted further down on his how-to list) because you can allegedly - and only after a lot downloading and post downloading editing work - assemble the full copy of a text?

Is the supposed threat to the Googleplex coming from angry publishers waving copyright infringement lawsuit loaded weapons?

Or is something else afoot?

I get the sense this is a peek into the literati kvetch-go-round the mere fact of Google Books' existence has started.

.d.