[lbo-talk] Incommensurability, phooey (Was Re: Michelangelo , . . . .)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 28 10:05:23 PDT 2007

On Aug 28, 2007, at 12:55 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> It seems to me the distinction between behaviors and identity (as in
> social identity) is anything but tedious -- in fact without that
> distinction history becomes an unintelligible blur.

Aren't you the one who's always criticizing generalizations about The Left? It seemed that you were always afraid that characterizing central tendencies does violence to all the innumerable particularities. Now you're saying that identity - a generalization or central tendency it sure looks like to me - is essential to understanding.

Doug