[lbo-talk] Incommensurability, phooey (Was Re: Michelangelo , . . . .)

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Wed Aug 29 08:28:07 PDT 2007

> > It seems to me the distinction between behaviors and identity (as in
>> social identity) is anything but tedious -- in fact without that
>> distinction history becomes an unintelligible blur.
>
>Aren't you the one who's always criticizing generalizations about The
>Left? It seemed that you were always afraid that characterizing
>central tendencies does violence to all the innumerable
>particularities. Now you're saying that identity - a generalization
>or central tendency it sure looks like to me - is essential to
>understanding.

This is exactly what Carrol was on about in his post on class a couple of months ago. I don't see how it can be maintained, this absolute distinction between a subject and its functioning. It sounds like bourgeois mysticism to me, not only because it seems essentialist but because it implies a subject that preexists its social movement. Though I could be misreading him.

Even if it were desirable to think in these terms, identity can only make sense as something that is produced by a subject's ensemble of functions. How do you separate a thing from what it does?