[lbo-talk] Incommensurability, phooey (Was Re: Michelangelo , . . . .)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 29 09:49:22 PDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 12:32 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Identity, as I pointed out in a post you apparently haven't read,
> belongs to ideology, like "race," "individual," etc. Hence it doesn't
> make sense if what you are talking about is the historically existing
> human person.
>
> Class is a different matter. It is a relation and a process.

The more you explain this the odder it gets.

Ideology has no material aspects? It's not formed by social relations and doesn't in turn influence those social relations? I thought you agreed with the classic formulation that an individual is an ensemble of social relations. How can the ensemble exist without individuals, or vice versa? How is race not instantiated in individuals and their daily relations? How is it not a relation and a process? Otherwise race would be something essential, like something genetically encoded.

Doug