[lbo-talk] Abe Foxman, genocide denialist

Rick Kisséll rick at kissell.org
Wed Aug 29 10:39:51 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> [well, the another genocide, that is]
>
> <http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/896916.html>
>
> The politics of hypocrisy
> By Evan R. Goldstein
>
> Abraham Foxman has become a menace to his own legacy...
>
> All of which takes me back nearly nine decades to Ottoman Turkey,
> where over one million Armenians perished in a horrific spasm of
> organized slaughter. This historical episode has become a political
> flashpoint in Washington, D.C., where all kinds of influence peddlers
> have been engaged in a fierce struggle over whether Congress should
> officially codify the Armenian massacre as genocide. The Turkish
> government has spent millions of dollars and twisted countless arms
> in an effort to trounce this resolution. More troubling, it has been
> able to enlist the support of the ADL - along with other Jewish
> organizations - in its campaign of denial.
Please note that while the Armenians were the most numerous victims of the Ottoman Holocaust, all non-Moslem minorities (chiefly Greeks and Assyrians) were also targeted for slaughter.

For further information:

Balakian, Peter /T he Black Dogs of Fate

/Balakian, Peter /The Burning Tigris: The Armenian Genocide and America's Response

/Halo, Thea /Not Even My Name

/Housepian Dobkin, Marjorie /Smyrna 1922: The Destruction of a City/ (particularly useful for disabusing American fundamentalist protestants about the relationship between Christianity and American foreign policy).

Rick Kissell Milwaukee