[lbo-talk] did Craig commit a crime?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 30 07:55:57 PDT 2007

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>[as amusing as it is to see Craig de-pantsed, it's ludicrous that
>what he did is considered a crime, esp since it appears not to be]

[Just for old times' sake, it's worth revisiting another victimless crime from the family archives of Rudy Giuliani. This is from "Thug Life: The Shocking Secret History of Harold Giuliani, the Mayor’s Ex-Convict Dad," by Wayne Barrett, Village Voice, July 5 - 11, 2000. Rudy's Dad *was* a thug and served a year and a half at Sing Sing during the 1930s for armed robbery. In later years he was reportedly afflicted with his gastrointestinal problems, with these lamentable results:]

With scorching ulcers and a nascent heart problem, Harold Giuliani was no longer the swaggering, hearty man readily disposed to put the knuckles on someone for looking at his wife the wrong way. ... "Harold had something of a nervous breakdown," explained his confidant Jack O'Leary. "...

Harold told friends that one of the events that triggered his breakdown was an incident in a Long Island state park in the spring of 1961. For the first time in many years, he was arrested, a chilling, jolting experience that abruptly exhumed old memories. The offense was trivial but embarrassing. Harold had long suffered from severe constipation. One afternoon, while strolling in the park, he suddenly felt the need to go. By his own account, when he found a public rest room, he pulled his pants down and began doing deep knee bends outside the stalls to expedite the process. A police officer happened to walk in right then. Harold was arrested for "loitering" and hauled down to the local police station. The charges were eventually dismissed, but the experience haunted the 53-year-old.

"The last time I saw Harold," recalled O'Leary, "he was practically bedridden. He was sitting out on a lawn chair in the backyard all pale and terrible-looking." ...

<http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0027,barrett,16192,1.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507