[lbo-talk] did Craig commit a crime?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 14:23:31 PDT 2007

"Legitimate expectation of privacy," in my understanding, limits the government's power to encroach on me -- that's Fourth Amendment reasonable search and seizure language. What constitutes something in which I have a legitimate expectation of privacy for Fourth Amendment purposes (these days very little) does not limit the ability, power, or right of private citizens encroach on me -- constitutional; rights, the Thirteenth Amendment apart, pretty much don't apply to private actors. So I think that is the wrong analysis.

Btw, I certainly have no legitimate expectation of privacy in a _public_ restroom. Short of some law that I doubt exists anywhere, I don't even have a right to have a door on the stall. If the cops search me (with probable cause) while I am on the can and find some, say, drugs, whether there is stall door or no, I cannot defend (or have the evidence suppressed) by saying I have a LEP because I was relieving myself.

Now, LEP aside, disorderly conduct is a catch-all statute that the cops regularly use against people who haven't done anything specifically wrong. Although the constitutionality of such statutes has been regularly upheld in particular contexts, I think it is obvious on its face that the state has no power to criminalize behavior that others, even the mythical "reasonable person," may find merely annoying, alarming, or offensive, regardless of whether that behavior is itself protected speech.

Behavior that is threatening or harmful is another matter, but (1) the range of behavior that the mythical "reasonable person," may find merely annoying, alarming, or offensive is so broad that such a prohibition is unconstitutionally vague;(2) I just don't think there's any basis for a right, enforceable by criminal sanctions, not to be annoyed, alarmed (short of threat), or offended; and (3) such statutes are an open invitation to the police, and used as such, to engage in unconstitutional behavior, harass demonstrators for political speech, single out gays in ways that are now unlawful, and the like.

As a matter of law, courts won't find disorderly conduct laws unconstitutional on their face, although they should; but they might as applied, and if laws are being used to enforce now unenforceable homophobic morals laws, they should in cases like this, and some even might.

=== message truncated ===

____________________________________________________________________________________ Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7