[lbo-talk] did Craig commit a crime?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 30 15:50:43 PDT 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> Exactly. The guy's an undercover cop who's done this before. In the
> report he uses boilerplate like "I recognized this as a signal used
> by persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct." It was his job to
> *encourage* Craig by giving signals of his own.

Speaking of which, what about that awful Predators show on NBC? The producers, working with an advocacy group (Perverted Justice) and the cops, lure guys via Internet chatrooms into meetups with what they think are 13-year-old girls. (13 is chosen because California law is harsher when kids under 14 are involved.) No doubt the decoys they use online are practiced at their craft, and may seduce guys into doing things they wouldn't initiate on their own. Then when they come to the house for the meeting, the show's host confronts them with embarrassing questions, and when they leave the house they're arrested. Where is the crime here? No doubt the online decoy is an adult, so even if the dude sends the "girl" pictures of his cock, they're being received by an adult. And when they come to the house, there's no actual sexual congress with a minor, just a chat with a slimy TV host. Why is this not entrapment?

Doug