[lbo-talk] Entrapment and Impossibility (Was Re: did Craig commit a crime?)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Aug 30 21:14:08 PDT 2007

On 30 Aug, 2007, at 23:41 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Btw the thing with its being crime, or a worse one, to
> send lewd pix to an adult when you think it's a minor
> (or a subminor -- 13, not 14, whatever) goes to the
> legal doctrine that the crime is in doing or
> attempting to do what you thought was the bad thing,
> even if you failed to do it or you couldn't have done
> it because, for example, the object of your attentions
> wasn't as young as you thought.
>
> Likewise, it's still attempted murder to shoot (at)
> someone with an unloaded gun, as long as you thought
> it was loaded and meant to kill them by shooting it.
> That's not crazy, is it?

I have a different version of the question: what if X and his girlfriend Y (both above 21 and aware of that detail) have a pedophilia (approp word?) fetish and act out X (as an adult) having sex with Y (playing a 13 year old)? Does this demonstrate that X wants to have sex with a 13 year old? In which case, is he guilty by law?

--ravi