[lbo-talk] Chicago Tribune on Finkelstein

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Aug 31 11:29:29 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood quoted:

> According to the norms of academia, a professor denied tenure has the
> right to a final year of teaching at the university that turns him
> down. The watchdog of those rights is the American Association of
> University Professors, the umbrella organization of college teachers,
> which can censure a school found in violation of its ground rules.
> Such a finding also can be the preliminary to a lawsuit against the
> university by the faculty member.

This "norm" surprised me: at every college or university I'm familiar with, if you don't get tenure in the Spring, you're gone. You don't get a "lame duck" year. Is this lame duck year common?

> Finkelstein said that, rather than filing a lawsuit, he intends to
> fight the university's action with a hunger strike, and the attendant
> publicity.
>
> "In the court of public opinion, I can win," Finkelstein said. "I
> say: 'Let the people judge.'"

As much as I disagree with DePaul's tenure decision, I just can't support Finkelstein here. Academics shouldn't earn tenure via political theater.

Miles