[lbo-talk] The American Prospect 8/30/07: "What's behindthesub-prime disaster?" by Robt. Kuttner

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 31 13:48:26 PDT 2007

>From: Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net>
>
>Carl wrote:
>
> >It's remarkable indeed that Columbo can do his outsider-on-the-inside
>shtick
> >since his character is affiliated with the LAPD, arguably the most rigid,
> >militaristic pack of police mofos in the US.
>
>I wonder how the show would have turned out if Bing Crosby, who was
>originally offered the role, hadn't turned it down?

DER BINGLE as Lt. Columbo?!! I thought that was typo -- that maybe you'd meant, oh, Bill Cosby. But there it is right in Wikipedia: "["Columbo" was first] ... made into a television movie for NBC in 1968 ... the writers suggested Lee J. Cobb and Bing Crosby for the role, but Cobb was unavailable and Crosby turned it down."

Obviously, Lee J. Cobb would simply have brought his expression of chronic heartburn to the role. As for Crosby, I suppose we might have been treated to an occasional chorus of "Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral (That's an Irish Lullaby)." Ghastly.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ It’s the Windows Live™ Hotmail® you love — on your phone! http://www.windowsmobile.com/hotmailmobile?ocid=MobileHMTagline_2