[lbo-talk] Contradiction

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 13:11:41 PST 2007

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

"That is, every act has numerous results beyond the

control (or even knowledge) of the agent. Would this not lead to actions that are self-negating, and does not self-negation bear a resemblance to the contradictions of formal logic?"

Carrol, you're getting dangerously close to the interesting meanings of contradiction -- as in the contradictions of Hamlet's character, or Creon's idea of justice, or "the free market system". The way I understand the word, as applying to historical processes, it's about unintended consequences, or doomed enterprises -- almost like "blowback".

BobW