[lbo-talk] The "Law" of Unintended Consequences WAS Re: Contradiction

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun Dec 2 07:24:04 PST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 9:09 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>>

>> It's deployed as a weapon against people on the left who want to
>> improve the lot of humanity and only "end up hurting those whom they
>> aim to help."
>
> So?

I'd go further than Doug and say it's a bedrock piece of faith on the libertarian right that, due to the "law" of unintended consequences, you cannot do anything to help people without hurting them more. It's the flip side of faith in the invisible hand, and one of the most pernicious ideas I've ever had to argue against.

John A