[lbo-talk] Age of Sexual Enlightenment?

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 10:40:58 PST 2007

Things that can speak to "the third" -- which you list as "the unknowable" -- and which you say religion "should" speak to (er, why?) could also be dealt with, for ex., the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and all that jolly old troupe. In fact, those mostly-unfalsifiable beings are also are presented currently as viable possibilities -- but to kids.

It looks like what you said was basically "religion is what people can and should (!) believe in, until they know better." I don't get the "should" part. Why "should" religion to speak to people to anything, least of all the "unknowable." Which often only seems unknowable -- 'til you know it. (Like micro-organic stuff, before the inventions of microscopy, or the moon, before it was visited, among many, many others.)

-B.

Jordan Hayes wrote:

"I've always found it helpful to divide the world into three categories: 1. The known 2. The unknown 3. The unknowable At any moment in time, these are three distinct subsets of the world. Items in each category can change categories over time. Religious faith can (and, IMHO, should) speak to the 3rd."