[lbo-talk] NYT: Chavez loses, 51% to 49%; Chavez does concede on TV

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Mon Dec 3 11:33:29 PST 2007

I've never understood why American leftists are so stuck in a rut when

it comes to supporting *one* guy as the leader of these leftist regimes. If this so-called "revolution" in Venezuela has any substance, then it

surely can find thousands of qualified people to run for president in the next election.

I also don't understand why people feel so compelled to defend Chavez more than the popular revolution. Chavez is just one imperfect human being who craves power. Does it really take an anarchist to point out the obvious.

The news that Chavez was defeated is very welcome.

CB: No aya contradiciion in supporting Chavez as the main leader of the popular revolution. The popular revolution in Venezuela wouldn't have had the successes it has had without a popular and progressive leader. Countries with millions of people must have representative or republican form, which means electing leaders. History has taught that when we get a good one, it is best to keep that one, as they are rare. See Cuba , for example. No need to take a chance to see if one equally good wins the next time.