[lbo-talk] NYT: Chavez loses, 51% to 49%; Chavez does concede on TV

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Mon Dec 3 13:59:32 PST 2007

Although I DO NOT AGREE with the badmouthing of Chavez, I think Doug is mistaken. Going back to the American Revolution, there was no single paramount leader of the relative stature we saw in revolutionary Cuba or China. Even in the Bolshevik Revolution, the Stalin inspired Lenin cult notwithstanding, there was a real collective leadership in the party that went beyond Lenin or even Trotsky. (Democratic Centralism and all that it implied, for good or ill). SR

^^^^^^^ CB: There's nothing special about it just being _one_. Better to have a collective of leaders, so that it is not dependent on one life. Chavez, Castro, Ho Che Minh are/were part of collectives. There are central committees and national boards. It's not _one_ leader, but leaders are a practical necessity. The Bolivarians have a whole legislative/executive group of leaders, and are no doubt as collective as the Bolsheviks or Cubans. Chavez is probably in a party club/collective.