[lbo-talk] The "Law" of Unintended Consequences WAS Re: Contradiction

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 4 06:28:13 PST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007, at 9:10 AM, Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:

> So, if they talk about the Law of Unintended Consequences, you'd reply
> that this mustn't justify Analysis Paralysis?

Who said that's a right-wing cliche? I first heard it from a leftish lawyer on a panel I was on about ten years ago. He kept going on about how NYC should encourage small business as an economic development strategy. I responded by saying that small biz ain't so great - it pays less and can provide a more dangerous workplace than bigger biz. He dismissed this, saying he didn't want to get down in the "paralysis of analysis." It's one of the things that got me thinking about the pathologies of activistism.

Doug