[lbo-talk] R Indian Navy on track to becoming 100% Indian

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 4 09:28:01 PST 2007

This is news to me. I had no idea that the Indian Navy was acquiring aircraft carriers. The US uses aircraft carriers, typically, when it wants to project military power a long way from home (like the Persian Gulf or Southeast Asia). Certainly, India has as much right to carriers as the US or Russia, but the question must follow: Where would India be using them? SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: uvj at vsnl.com

Indian Navy on track to becoming 100% Indian Ajai Shukla / New Delhi December 03, 2007 ............. He learned that the aircraft carrier, INS Vikramaditya (as the Admiral Gorshkov will be renamed), would reach India not just two years later than contracted, but also at twice the cost. Such irritants, though, could soon be in the past. Now an ambitious programme for modernising defence shipyards is going to make the Indian Navy the first of the three services ..