[lbo-talk] R Indian Navy on track to becoming 100% Indian

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Dec 4 10:03:02 PST 2007

From: srobin21 at comcast.net (Steven L. Robinson) wrote:

> This is news to me. I had no idea that the Indian Navy was
> acquiring aircraft carriers. The US uses aircraft carriers,
> typically, when it wants to project military power a long way from
> home (like the Persian Gulf or Southeast Asia). Certainly, India
> has as much right to carriers as the US or Russia, but the question
> must follow: Where would India be using them? SR

Wikipedia article on aircraft carrier Vikrant provides the background:

INS Vikrant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikrant

There is already a US naval base at Diego Garcia. Russian and Chinese Navies would arrive in Indian Ocean sooner or later. Oil tankers move through Arabian sea and Indian ocean towards Japan, China, Korea and Europe. That's one reason why India needs strong navy.

Ulhas