[lbo-talk] Iran etc

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Tue Dec 4 23:53:36 PST 2007

>>> <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> 12/05/07 1:16 AM >>>
From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Iran etc To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

On Dec 4, 2007, at 2:44 PM, Charles A. Grimes wrote:

> I also thought it would interesting to hear what Yoshie would have
> say about such a critique... as long as she wrote it

I'm not going to make a habit of it, but since you asked, here's what

she posted to the Debate list in response to a provocation from, um, me:

For those who have read Samir Amin over time, there's little new in the essay ("Political Islam in the Service of Imperialism," Monthly Review 59.7, December 2007, <http://monthlyreview.org/1207amin.htm>), except there are two points that are interesting from my POV:

I don't claim to understand exactly what those two points were - perhaps someone can give me a paraphrase in non-evasive language - but I suspect that the author was trying very hard not to portray herself as TOO far from Amin's position. After all he is an outstanding icon of the broad tendency that she herself represents. Amin is a nice enough guy though - smokes lots of Gitanes and drinks lots of black tea, as I recall. Tahir