[lbo-talk] Dobbs on Democracy Now

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 06:31:54 PST 2007

> What I find both amusing and distressing about the discussion here > is that it is marked with the usual sophomoric invective about how > awful and moronic the “enemy” is, but is not informed by any keen > sense of how the political alternatives on offer from the alleged > opposition are scarcely different and in fact will only aggravate > rather than attenuate right-wing populist momentum.

Henwood sez:

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. What alternatives are on offer from the alleged opposition?John G replies:

Blimey, you always call me out on my muddy formulations, just as I'm trying to impugn others for theirs. :)

Perhaps incompetently I was aiming to condense three polemical points (!?!) in a buy-two-get-one-free deal: 1) the liberal wing of the DP with which the site is nominally allied has no coherent plan to reconcile the contradictions of corporate globalism with those of economic populism (not that any political movement could), 2) the holier-than-thou attitude affected by chat group loyalists that they are intellectually and morally superior to Lou Dobbs and the retrograde rubes who swallow his snake oil is belied by their braindead cheerleading (I am sure you are familiar with the average Kosnik-type specimen), and 3) posing theatrically as diametric opposites of hate-filled nativists is rather comical and pathetic when little self-awareness of the structural issues, rather than celebrity put-downs, is on display.

Maybe it is just standard issue Counterpunch demeaning of the pwogs, minus the foolish illusion that there is anything whatsoever politically salvageable across the Buchanan-Dobbs-Paul spectrum, an array of kindred forces that is increasingly leaving its serious imprint on discourse and action.

Now howzat for clarity? ;)

John G Akitacity Tohoku JP 010-1211

_________________________________________________________________ You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGLM