[lbo-talk] forgot to mention...

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Dec 6 12:53:25 PST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> It's really very simple. I'm saying that when you wrote this:
>
> I think maths (at the non-genius level) requires an element of
> stupidity
> or slowness, and perhaps certain small mental "disorders" such as OCD
> and paranoia.
>
> [...]
>
> You joined, apparently without meaning to, the ranks of the
> self-flagellating. No fancy, amateur psychoanalysis was applied: the
> words carry strong meanings all by themselves. "Stupidity" is not
> read
> as a neutral term and even though "disorders" is in quotes I bet it
> still looks like plain old 'mental disorders' to most people.

You are right about that. I was not careful enough with the "stupidity or slowness" part. What I meant is something along the lines of "wilful stupidity" which can equate to slowness. But it is also true that when present as a sort of "disorder" (still in quotes ;-)) this can translate to real stupidity (substitute stupid with a less strong word) in real world situations.

The problem with the psychoanalysis is this: even if I am indulging in self-flagellation, that in itself does not make the reasoning offered wrong. The validity of an argument is based on its internal consistency and its appeal to data. So, it is a distraction to analyse "what my words look like" (to quote a different part of your message) in lieu of what they actually say. It is, shall we say, "the analysis of fools" ;-) (I add the smiley because I am just turning your phrase -- I do not in any way believe you, or for that matter any list- member, is a fool).

Note that I might decline to examine an argument on pragmatic grounds, such as a distrust of the individual offering the view. This is especially so when I have explanations available that I believe are productive and reliable. In such a case, I have merely rejected the argument (at my own peril), not refuted it. It is a sad corruption of English that "rejected" has recently come to be synonymous to "refuted".

--ravi