[lbo-talk] Shakespeare

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 6 15:02:25 PST 2007

Shakespeare is weird. I was just browsing in the current New Yorker and came across the two lines below, quoted from Cymbeline. It's been 54 years since I read that play, and therefore the lines are without context for me, just two lines hanging in midair:

Your low-laid son our godhead will uplift: His comforts thrive, his trials well are spent.

These lines owe _nothing_ to any profundity of content; the content would fit a small-town weekly's report on a church bazaar. Yet they really are wonderful.

Like I say, Shakespeare is weird. These two lines reflect his difference from other poets in English: even when his words aren't saying much they somehow stick together so perfectly.

Carrol