[lbo-talk] California SEIU strife continues

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 6 22:38:12 PST 2007

Freeman fires back -- SEIU strife continues

Shane Goldmacher Sacramento Bee December 4, 2007

The internal politicking of the State Council of the SEIU continues, with Tyrone Freeman, president of the one of the largest local affiliates in the state, firing off a sharply worded response letter to outgoing state council president Sal Rosselli.

The internal leadership battle within the powerful Service Employees International Union, which counts 600,000 members in California, has potential implications for the health care overhaul in California, as the union coalition's stance on health care is one ostensible reason for the leadership fight.

In his letter, Freeman, whose union was singled out for criticism in a letter from Rosselli sent to the state council on Sunday, argued for seeking "common ground" in crafting a health plan.

"What is being proposed is not perfect. No one is saying otherwise. As a labor union, we can and must continue to be visionary. But being visionary also means being able to recognize an opportunity to pass a sweeping reform that pragmatically restructures our health care system to make quality care available and affordable," Freeman wrote. (The full letter is posted at the bottom of this post)

Freeman also took "great exception to our efforts being portrayed as some kind of insurgency or takeover among SEIU Locals," in his letter, which was addressed to national SEIU president Andy Stern.

Rosselli, who withdrew his name as a candidate for SEIU state council president on Sunday, said in his letter that the election to replace him "defies acceptable notions of fairness."

Rosselli, who represents the United Healthcare Workers, specifically cited Freeman's union, the United Long-Term Healthcare Workers Union Local 6434, for being in arrears of payments to the state council.

"The idea that organizations like SEIU Locals 6434 and 1877 will be able to fully participate (in the election) while owing more than $1.5 million in back dues defies acceptable notions of fairness with regard to union democracy," Rosselli wrote.

Freeman and Rosselli's local affiliates are among the largest SEIU units in the state, each with more than 100,000 members of the 600,000 workers represented by the SEIU state council.

Allies of Rosselli have characterized the leadership fight as the workings of Stern, the national SEIU president. But in Friday's Los Angeles Times, Freeman portrayed the leadership struggle as a battle between himself and Rosselli.

>From the LAT:

Asked about the move to change leadership, Freeman said Rosselli had often acted based on "his ideological belief about how things ought to happen with the de facto inclusion of other leaders."

He disputed assertions of Rosselli's allies that Stern was masterminding the leadership change. "It would be more of a story of Tyrone Freeman and Sal Rosselli," Freeman said. "I have a very big local that is bigger than his. We've got impact, and we just believe things ought to be done differently."

Following Rosselli's withdrawal on Monday, Local 721 president Annelle Grajeda, who was appointed to her post by Stern, was the only declared candidate for president of the state council.

In Freeman's letter, sent Monday, he questioned Rosselli's tact as leader on health care negotiations in the state.

"SEIU International has rightly recognized that old methods and tactics don't work-that we are facing a new day that requires, not compromise, but a different type of dialogue, where approaches are no longer strictly adversarial, but, in contrast, seek to find common ground. This isn't acquiescence, it's pragmatism, and it is the road to opening doors, where for years they have been closed," Freeman wrote.

He continued, "Those who typically stand at ideological odds have come together to hash out a proposal that is a big step toward making inroads in a decades-long struggle to provide healthcare to those who go without. While it may not mirror the panacea we may have put forth in our internal meetings, it represents important progress toward providing coverage for the six million Californians who have none."

We've posted the full text of Freeman's letter below. See Rosselli's letter here:

December 3, 2007

Dear Andy,

It is most disheartening to see one of the most significant issues of our time characterized as an internal political squabble, where it is implied that UHW alone has the "courage to continue to stand up for our principles." Nothing could be farther from the truth. The facts are this: SEIU International has set a progressive and innovative course to lift up and protect the working people of this country. SEIU International has rightly recognized that old methods and tactics don't work-that we are facing a new day that requires, not compromise, but a different type of dialogue, where approaches are no longer strictly adversarial, but, in contrast, seek to find common ground. This isn't acquiescence, it's pragmatism, and it is the road to opening doors, where for years they have been closed.

Central to SEIU's mission is the provision of healthcare for all---the front-burner issue facing the state of California and the nation. California is at the precipice of enacting far-reaching, meaningful healthcare reform. Those who typically stand at ideological odds have come together to hash out a proposal that is a big step toward making inroads in a decades-long struggle to provide healthcare to those who go without. While it may not mirror the panacea we may have put forth in our internal meetings, it represents important progress toward providing coverage for the six million Californians who have none.

At our core, we represent working people.

. Healthcare reform, as it realistically could be passed this year, recognizes that employers must play a fundamental role in paying for coverage.

. Healthcare reform, as it realistically could be passed this year, expands public programs and provides subsidies to make coverage affordable for working people.

. Healthcare reform, as it realistically could be passed this year, will set a benchmark, like a minimum wage, where currently there is none.

What is being proposed is not perfect. No one is saying otherwise. As a labor union, we can and must continue to be visionary. But being visionary also means being able to recognize an opportunity to pass a sweeping reform that pragmatically restructures our health care system to make quality care available and affordable.

I make this statement as a Local leader who represents 150,000 low-income long-term care workers in California. My view of this issue is clear, and it stretches from northern California to southern California, from the largest urban centers to the most rural. Healthcare reform is what our members want and need, and we must do what we can to make it a reality. I take great exception to our efforts being portrayed as some kind of insurgency or takeover among SEIU Locals. California State Council has been without a leader since October 15, 2007. This is not a new development; it is part of a program agreed upon as part of our reorganization. We are now preparing to fulfill our democratically-agreed upon process to select new leadership that will determine the direction of our State Council.

SEIU's dedication to its members and commitment to universal healthcare is clearly evidenced by our track record. The majority of California leaders stand ready to work energetically toward the enactment of realistic and significant healthcare reform that will surely make a great difference to our members and their families.

In Unity,

Tyrone Freeman President United Long-Term Care Workers' Union SEIU Local 6434

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/capitolalertlatest/009429.html