[lbo-talk] forgot to mention.... geometry

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Fri Dec 7 07:47:52 PST 2007

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> I think the reason such tools are not used in schools with any
> systematic understanding is simple. Most teacher have never been
> exposed to this sort mathematics and so they just don't know about
> it.

Chuck, see if this link is freely available:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/318/5856/1534

here's a snippet:

Science 7 December 2007:

Vol. 318. no. 5856, pp. 1534 - 1535

MATHEMATICS EDUCATION:

U.S. Expert Panel Sees Algebra As Key to Improvements in Math

Jeffrey Mervis

BALTIMORE, MARYLAND--No single report will end the decade-long

debate about why U.S. students aren't doing better in math. But last

week, a panel of experts assembled by the Department of Education

signaled it had reached consensus on one of the most important

topics in that debate: how students can become proficient inalgebra.

Usually offered in the 8th or 9th grade, algebra is a gateway course

for high school mathematics; without mastering algebra, a college

degree in science or engineering is impossible. Its importance has

made it the primary focus of the National Mathematics Advisory

Panel, convened in April 2006. Last week, the group of 19

mathematicians, psychologists, and educators vetted a 68-page draft

report due out this winter that members hope will play a major role

in shaping math instruction across an education system that comes in

50 state flavors, with variations by 14,000 local school districts.

The report, debated line by line during an open 6-hour meeting at an

airport hotel here, contains dozens of recommendations on how to

boost student achievement in math. Taking aim at watered-down

courses, the report defines the content of a rigorous algebra course

as well as what students need to know before taking it. It urges

school districts "to avoid an approach that continually revisits

topics, year after year, without closure," part of what critics

deride as a "mile-wide, inch-deep" math curriculum. ...

i'd be curious to see the full report if we can find it.

Les