[lbo-talk] Supervillainy. Or, why I fell in love with science

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 09:41:39 PST 2007

Chris Doss:

You really got this advice? Wow. Who was this lady?

Oh yes.

The lady was one of my mom's co-workers.

That day, I hopped on a downtown bound train and met my mom at her workplace, a posh department store which is now only a memory. I was introduced to Friendly Co-worker as my mother and I were leaving. "You're so cute! I've heard so much about you!" The Dorothy Hamill-esque Friendly Co-worker said, squeezing my cheeks. "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

I told her.

"Well, that's certainly ambitious. But, maybe janitor or trash man might be more realistic."

Now my mother, who's a compassionate, funny and smart person with a close to zero tolerance for bullshit was about to pounce when I said, quite calmly and firmly as I recall, "No. I'm going to be a computer engineer. That's what's going to happen."

People often become nervous and confused when 12 year olds speak with confidence. Friendly Co-worker looked confused and smiled weakly as my mom and I left the store.

.d.