[lbo-talk] Run for the border

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 7 14:34:58 PST 2007

Bob W asked:

And which country is that, Mike? The closest one to me only wants people with specific skills, like nursing.

******************* I took a chance and flew to Australia seven years ago today. I had snagged a six month visa from the Aussie Consulate in LA and was planning to write a novel in the peace and quiet of WA while living on my meagre library pension. At the time, the Aussie dollar was in the toilet and there was no mining boom in Western Australia--rents were a tenth of those in the SF Bay Area. So, I smoked my last joint and waited for a friend to drive me from Paly to SFO where I caught a United flight to Melbourne and from there on Ansett over the Southern Ocean to Perth. A woman named Jenny Armstrong met me at the airport. She'd been feeding me info on WA via the Internet, rents and so on...A couple of years later, we got hitched at our local dojo and this year, I passed from being a mere "permanent resident" to becoming a dual citizen--U.S./Oz.

Mike B)

"Would you have freedom from wage-slavery.." Joe Hill "http://iamawobbly.multiply.com/

Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now. www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail