[lbo-talk] Run for the border

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Fri Dec 7 23:03:46 PST 2007

At 5:49 PM -0800 7/12/07, joanna wrote:

>OK. So then if you don't find an aussie to marrry,what do you do?
>Joanna

If you can't find an Australian to marry, you've failed the test. We have standards you know and if you can't find a single Australian willing to marry you then you just wouldn't fit in. ;-) There are 20 million of us, how hard can it be?

But you can always study up on the culture a bit. I strongly recommend the movie 'Muriel's Wedding' for revision purposes. If you don't enjoy watching it, then you probably wouldn't be able to put up with the place.

That said however, the standard of universal health care has been undermined a bit by 11 years under a Howard Liberal government. Expect long waiting lists for "elective" surgery in public hospitals. ("Elective" surgery is any operation for any condition that isn't immediately life-threatening.) I know someone who waited about 6 months for an operation to fix something to do with a vein in his leg, in the meantime he could barely walk a few feet. He's now waiting for some other operation, has been for months and is in constant pain.

But he doesn't seem to mind. He is off the dole and on Sickness Benefit while he waits, so doesn't have to put up with the constant harassment of the welfare police. Chronic pain is preferable so it would seem.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas