[lbo-talk] Stockhausen, and useless eaters

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sat Dec 8 11:35:11 PST 2007

Sir James Steuart used a similar term 6 times.

"Farmers, as has been observed, will have a greater difficulty in finding servants, who, instead of labouring the ground, will choose to turn themselves to manufactures. This we have considered in the light of purging the lands of superfluous mouths."

In the Invention of Capitalism, I noted: "Steuart's program owed not a little to Hume, who called for the employment of "superfluous hands" as soldiers to extend the power of the state (see below; and Hume 1752d, pp. 256-7).

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu michaelperelman.wordpress.com