[lbo-talk] A Few Words From GB Shaw

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 8 13:40:05 PST 2007

On Dec 8, 2007 3:48 PM, Brian Charles Dauth <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Childish people, we saw, want to have all their lives regulated for them,
> with occasional holiday outbursts of naughtiness to relieve the monotony;
> and we admitted that the ablebodied ones make good soldiers and steady
> conventional employees.

George Bernard Shaw on other childish people (the indigenous of South Africa during the Boer War, which Shaw and the other Fabians supported):

Since "we are no longer a Commonwealth of white men and baptised Christians", we must "rule these vast areas and populations by a bureaucracy as undemocratic as that of Russia". Local self-government for the whites would lead to "black slavery, and, in some places, frank black extermination". "As for parliamentary institutions for native races, that dream has been disposed of by the American experiments after the Civil War. They are as useless to them as a dynamo to a Caribbean". (See Bernard Shaw, ed, *Fabianism and the Empire: A Manifesto By the Fabian Society*, London, Grant Richards, 1900)