[lbo-talk] AP: "Suburban sex parties draw complaints"

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 11:32:49 PST 2007

--- "Mr. WD" <mister.wd at gmail.com> wrote:

> For me, this raises a really interesting question.
> Part of me wants
> to take a purely libertarian approach to these kinds
> of issues, like
> the ACLU does: people should be allowed to hold
> swingers parties (or
> whatever) regardless of whether it bugs the
> neighbors with increased
> traffic, etc. Of course, if one is going to take
> this position, then
> it needs to cut the other way: it needs to be
> applied to churchgoers
> clogging up the street, anti-abortion protesters
> shouting at people
> outside clinics, the Westboro Baptist Church and so
> forth.

[WS:] So let's place this in a more neutral context, say, using mobile phones and mobile phone jammers. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone-jammer5.htm

As I understand it, jammers are illegal in this country (only people who call themselves government can use them), yet it is possible to buy them on line cf. http://www.cell-phone-jammers.com/ and some people use them to disrupt annoying cell phone yakking in public places.

My (for the most part libertarian) position on this issue is that everyone has the right to use the cell phone any way they want as long as it does not disrupt other people's right not to be affected by that phone use. If they are affected, they have a right to self defence, by legal means preferably, but if such legal means are not available, by illegal ones i.e. using jammers if necessary.

More generally, I have the right to self-expression as long as the exercise of that right does not infringe on other people's right to peace and quiet. This seems like a common sense universal principle that applies to a variety situations, including the one that started this discussion. Most civilised people understand that principle and try to abide by it voluntarily in everyday life situations. However, Amerika is anything but civilised and the concept of self-restraint and respect for others is for the most part absent here - hence the need for intrusive legislation.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs