[lbo-talk] AP: "Suburban sex parties draw complaints"

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 10 11:58:24 PST 2007

Jordan Hayes wrote:
>> The point is, what kind of establishment is more likely to face
>> problems from the zoning commission or whatever, all things being
>> equal? A church or, well, anything else?
>>

> I don't really know how we got to churches on this, but there's plenty
> of precedent for local municipal control over churches. Not only is
> this issue not about sex, it's not about churches either!
>
> /jordan

Yes and no. The point was made that if these people were holding 'worship services' in their basement they would in all probability have received a different level of scrutiny that they did. This was because the business in question was morally offensive to the residents not just because it was a business. I agree that if the number of people attending became a nuisance then the municipal authorities have a right to get involved but I do also recognize the unfair way such involvement generally takes in the real world. There is a house about 5 block from me that holds just such a 'worship service' in their home. The neighbors have complained and to no avail. Of course everyone in that neighbourhood believes it is because it is god related that they get a free pass. We had the city tell one homeowner here that he had to remove 80% of his christmas yard ornamentation because it was creating a nuisance in the neighbourhood but part of the complaint was that they were all of a secular nature. Santa, elves, snowmen, and no baby Jesus lying under a pallet. The question arose would the city have interfered if the displays were only of a christian nature. Of course the city said yes but doubt remains on many peoples parts. Apparently none of us are as smart as Jordan who simply knows that such discrimination in enforcement is not an issue.

John Thornton