[lbo-talk] Shakespeare

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 10 19:31:46 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007, at 5:23 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > Your sense of you fingers on the cup handle _is_ a movement of
> > neurotransmitters.
>
> Yeah, but is that the end of the line? Have you reached some sort of
> foundation by saying this, or is it just a tautology?

Both and neither. It's a tautology, but not _just_ a tautology. The spontaneous psychology/neuroscience people respond from is that of a homonunculus sitting in the brain; it is incredibly difficult to get rid of that response, and recognizing the identity of neural events and thought/feeling/sense/etc is a first step. It's really possible that the brain can't understand itself, and we will never have a complete understanding of consciousness. But forward movement does require getting rid of both the homonunculus and the cartesian 'soul.'

Carrol