[lbo-talk] Shakespeare

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 05:45:20 PST 2007

Tahir Wood <twood at uwc.ac.za> wrote:

"I wonder if anyone here is interested in the topic of 'mind-culture coevolution' - this article by Bill Benzon is one I find extremely interesting. It's called The Evolution of Narrative and the Self, and it situates Hamlet within the historical evolution of narrative characters: http://asweknowit.ca/evcult/LitEvol.shtml "

I am. A recent Shakespearean called Hamlet the first self-conscious character in Western literature -- i.e. Shakespeare the first writer to portray interiority. I'm sure Andie and Carrol and some others will take exception to that, but Hamlet certainly shows mental processes on a different scale.

Bob

>>> 12/10/07 4:36 PM >>> From: Robert Wrubel Subject: Re: [lbo-talk]

Tahir Wood wrote: "Literariness is a kind of secular religion, as this writer shows,"

He doesn't "show" it at all,. He just shows a tin ear, an inability to enjoy theater, a philistine's prejudice against something that's hard. Anyway, the whole article is a pose, an attempt to shock. He doesnt mean it anymore than Rush Limbaugh does.

BobW

Sorreee. I promise to show more respect in future. While I'm about it I wonder if anyone here is interested in the topic of 'mind-culture coevolution' - this article by Bill Benzon is one I find extremely interesting. It's called The Evolution of Narrative and the Self, and it situates Hamlet within the historical evolution of narrative characters: http://asweknowit.ca/evcult/LitEvol.shtml Tahir All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk